Associate Health Education Training Programs - Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS)
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS)


Associate Health Education Training Programs

Image of trainees

VA is a leader in the training of associated health professionals. Through affiliations with individual health professions schools and colleges, clinical traineeships and fellowships are provided to students in more than 40 professions, including nurses, pharmacists, dental assistants, audiologists, dietitians, social workers, psychology externs and pre-doctoral interns, physical therapists, optometry externs, podiatry externs 7 residents, physician assistants, respiratory therapists, and nurse practitioners. Approximately 50,000 associated health students receive training in VA facilities each year, and provide a valuable recruitment source for new employees. The majority of associated health trainees receive clinical experiences receive temporary VA staff appointments on a “without compensation (WOC) basis”. But in selected program areas, approximately $40 million in student funding support is provided to over 3,300 trainees.

***Please Note - Only students participating in programs with which the Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System has a current affiliation agreement will be permitted learning opportunities. Consult your school, course coordinator or instructor for affiliation details. We do not currently have any training programs sponsored by this facility. All of the students that rotate through our facility are sent from our affiliates.

For additional information regarding without compensation or funded trainee positions, contact the POC for each discipline.



Learning more about CAVHCS Associated Health Education Training Programs

 Looking for a Career?


the training coordinator
at your school
to find out about opportunities at an affiliated VA.


Application Form (Required Completion and Submission)


     *   Application for Associated Health Trainees (10-2850d).
     *   Declaration of Federal Employment, form OF-306.

     *   Please read, print, then initial and date each page and then sign and date the last page of the National Rules of Behavior (Attached VA Handbook 6500) .

     *   Print the attached Student Health Form and have the appropriate school official complete (on company letterhead) and return with package.

     *    Mandatory Training for Trainees. "Certificate of completion for the on-line training course must be included in packet."
     *    Request for Personal Identity Verification Card, VA Form 0711. Note: The day you come for finger printing and ID badge you must present two forms for identification (one state or federal ID must have a photo incorporated) as listed in Section III on Page 5 of VA Form 0711.

     *   Complete, print and sign Special Agreement Form (SAC).

Policies, Handbooks, & Directives (Required Reading)

VHA Supervision of Associated Health Trainees VHA Handbook 1400.04
Policies, Handbooks and Directives

Education Affiliation Agreements (Reference Material)

VHA Directive 2004-066 defines policy for educational affiliation agreements covering training programs in clinical settings.

Associated Health Education Agreements (Resource Material)


Between the V.A. and an Educational Program. For programs approved by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

VA Form 10-0094G