Speech Language Pathology (SLP) Trainee Program - Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS)
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS)


Speech Language Pathology (SLP) Trainee Program

The student clinician will perform duties under the direction of the VA SLP, as part of the training agreement with Auburn University.

The Speech Pathologist provides diagnosis and management of communication disorders and dysphagia and participates in interdisciplinary collaboration, quality improvement and patient/family education.

Disorders Include:

  • Dysarthria and articulation disorders
  • Aphasia and language disorders
  • Oral verbal apraxia
  • Speech and language disorders associated with central nervous system dysfunction
  • Fluency disorders
  • Voice disorders
  • Laryngectomies
  • Speech disorders associated with oral-facial anomalies such as glossectomy, cleft palate, etc.
  • Speech disorders associated with neuropsychiatric disorders
  • Speech disorders associated with hearing impairment
  • Dysphagia

Other procedures may include augmentative and alternative communication and modified barium swallow studies.

Record/documentation requirements include assessments, treatment decisions, plan of care, ongoing management and therapeutic outcomes for every patient encounter. Recording will be accomplished using the electronic comprehensive patient record system (CPRS).

The supervising Speech Pathologist must hold the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech Language Pathology and a state license to practice speech pathology. The practitioner must have experience and expertise in the assessment and management of communication disorders and dysphagia. Student clinicians completing training under the supervision of the SLP must adhere to the rules/regulations of the VA and the Speech and Audiology Department.

Send completed processing packet to the following address:

Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System
ATTN: Dr. Joann LaBarge
2400 Hospital Rd
Tuskegee, AL 36083

For assistance contact Ms. LaBarge at:
Joann.LaBarge@va.gov  (334) 272-4640 ext. 3057


NOTE: Incomplete student processing packets will not be processed and you will not be able to start your clinical training on time.

Upon receipt of your forms, our Human Resources department will contact you to arrange a time for you to come to the facility for fingerprinting and other entry processing requirements. The following documents are required at time of fingerprinting:

  • One government issued photo ID (i.e. driver license, military ID, passport) and one non-photo ID (see list on VA Form 0711, page 5, item 4 above). 
  • Permanent Resident Card (if applicable). 
  • Vehicle Registration and proof of insurance (if applying for a VA parking permit).


Join the Speech Language Pathology Trainee Program at CAVHCS in the VA!

CAVHCS Trainee Programs

Audiology Program
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Trainee Program
Dental Assistant Trainee Program
Dietetics Program
EKG Technician Trainee Program
Geriatrics Residency
Medical Laboratory Technology Training Program
Nursing Training Program
Occupational Therapy Trainee Program
Optometry Externship Program
Pharmacy Student Training Program
Physical Therapy Training Program
Podiatry Residency
Psychology Internship Program
Radiography Trainee Program
Recreation Therapy Program
Social Work Program
Speech Language Pathology (SLP) Trainee Program


Ellen Duncan Howard, MS, CCC/SLP
Speech-Language Pathology, Program Director
2400 Hospital Rd.
Tuskegee, AL 36083
Phone: (334) 727-0550,
ext. 3057
Email: Ellen.Howard@va.gov


You must have the Adobe Reader to open the forms listed above. Download the latest free Adobe Reader.
* Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites. The link will open in a new window.