VA is a leader in the training of associated health professionals. Through affiliations with individual health professions schools and colleges, clinical traineeships and fellowships are provided to students in more than 40 professions, including nurses, pharmacists, dental assistants, audiologists, dietitians, social workers, psychology externs and pre-doctoral interns, physical therapists, optometry externs, podiatry externs 7 residents, physician assistants, respiratory therapists, and nurse practitioners. Approximately 50,000 associated health students receive training in VA facilities each year, and provide a valuable recruitment source for new employees. The majority of associated health trainees receive clinical experiences receive temporary VA staff appointments on a “without compensation (WOC) basis”. But in selected program areas, approximately $40 million in student funding support is provided to over 3,300 trainees.
***Please Note - Only students participating in programs with which the Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System has a current affiliation agreement will be permitted learning opportunities. Consult your school, course coordinator or instructor for affiliation details. We do not currently have any training programs sponsored by this facility. All of the students that rotate through our facility are sent from our affiliates.
For additional information regarding without compensation or funded trainee positions:
Acting Administrative Officer for the DEO
Acute Care & Specialties Service/DEO
Central Alabama Health Care System
215 Perry Hill Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36109
334.272.4670 ext. 4902
Application Form (Required Completion and Submission)
* Application for Associated Health Trainees (10-2850d
* Declaration of Federal Employment, form OF-306
* Please read, print, then initial and date each page and then sign and date the last page of the National Rules of Behavior (Attached VA Handbook 6500) .
* Print the attached Student Health Form and have the appropriate school official complete (on company letterhead) and return with package.
* Request for Personal Identity Verification Card, VA Form 0711. Note: The day you come for finger printing and ID badge you must present two forms for identification (one state or federal ID must have a photo incorporated) as listed in Section III on Page 5 of VA Form 0711.
Policies, Handbooks, & Directives (Required Reading)
VHA Supervision of Associated Health Trainees VHA Handbook 1400.04
Policies, Handbooks and Directives
Education Affiliation Agreements (Reference Material)
VHA Directive 2004-066 defines policy for educational affiliation agreements covering training programs in clinical settings.