Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS)
The Department of Veterans Affairs at the Central Alabama Health Care System (CAVHCS) has established a Podiatric Medical and Surgical Residency Program. This twenty-four month program is designated to provide training in all aspects of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery by utilizing this health care system's resources. The training encompasses the examination, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of primary and secondary foot disorders and covers medical, surgical, diagnostic and newly emerging technological treatment approaches.
The curriculum is designed not only to provide foot care, but also enhance the awareness of the correlation between foot problems and the general health and well being of the total patient.
Two twenty-four month, medical center based, podiatric medical and surgical residency positions will be available beginning in July of each year. The resident will rotate through various services, achieving competency within well-defined parameters specific to each area of training.
The experiences include but are not limited to:
Podiatric Medicine- Clinic Based, Podiatric Surgery, Internal Medicine/Geriatrics, General Surgery, Anesthesia, Orthopedic Surgery, Laboratory Medicine, Diagnostic Imaging, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, Cardiology, Wound Clinic and other assigned rotations or experiences.
General Program Goals
1) Develop and enhance his/her diagnostic and management skills with an emphasis on whole patient management.
2) Gain basic podiatric medical and surgical skills in the management of foot and ankle conditions.
3) Understand the various factors involved in the clinical practice management model.
4) Understand the differences in the in-patient and out-patient medical models and methods for assuring quality of care and risk management in both settings.
5) Achieve competency in scholarly activities,; specifically the use of Evidence Based Medicine as a foundation for selection of therapeutic modalities and peer lectures.
Send completed processing packet to the following address:
Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System
For assistance contact Ms. McGraw at: