Nutrition and Food Services at the Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS) serves as a clinical rotation site for dietetic interns and as a clinical and administrative dietetics experience site for senior dietetic students. Trainees gain knowledge and experience working with dietitians in the following areas:
- Acute Medicine
- Geriatrics and Extended Care which includes:
- Home Based Primary Care
- Community Living Center
- Geriatric Primary Care
- Acute Rehabilitation
- Ambulatory Care which includes:
- Ambulatory Care Clinics (Tuskegee and Montgomery)
- Community Based Clinics
- Mental Health which includes:
- Acute Psychiatry
- Day Treatment
- Psychosocial Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program
The learning experiences the students and dietetics interns participate in at CAVHCS assists in preparing them for acceptance into dietetic internship programs and for successful completion of the Registration Examination to become Registered Dietitians with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) of the American Dietetic Association (ADA).
Nutrition/dietetics training at CAVHCS plays a vital role in preparing future dietetics practitioners for successful entry into the field and allows them the opportunity to "work" in the VA setting which serves as a recruitment mechanism for VA Nutrition and Food Services organizations nationwide.
Send completed processing packet to the following address:
Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System
ATTN: Joe Lynn (11E)
Acting Administrative Officer for Education
215 Perry Hill Rd
Montgomery, AL 36109
For assistance contact Mr. Lynn at:
Joseph.Lynn@va.gov or (334) 260-4177.
NOTE: Incomplete student processing packets will not be processed and you will not be able to start your clinical training on time.
Upon receipt of your forms, our Human Resources department will contact you to arrange a time for you to come to the facility for fingerprinting and other entry processing requirements.
The following documents are required at time of fingerprinting:
- One government issued photo ID (i.e. driver license, military ID, passport) and one non-photo ID (see list on VA Form 0711, page 5, item 4 above).
- Permanent Resident Card (if applicable).
- Vehicle Registration and proof of insurance (if applying for a VA parking permit).